Today I have a guest on the blog, my first one! It’s very exciting… Let me introduce Kendra Thornton, who loves to travel and has a passion for talking about travel. She has some great tips to share for traveling with your family, to help keep you sane. Please Enjoy!
My family and I just returned from our family vacation. We finally had the money and the paid time off to take our vacation. I just wanted to share with you some tips I picked up along the way.
1. Eat a Good Breakfast
- Starting with a good breakfast gives the family energy to have a good day.
- Take advantage of any breakfast meal included with the hotel room.
- You will save money on one less meal.
- Eating a good breakfast will reduce the craving for sugary sweets later in the day.
- A full tummy is a happy tummy (which makes for cheery children and parents!)
2. Pack Snacks for the Day
- In case the kids get hungry between meals, pack some of their favorite snacks to save money.
- Some snack ideas include dried fruit, cheese, pretzels, peanuts or dry cereal.
- It is OK to let the kids have some sweets. You can still make healthy decisions at fast food places also if it is a last minute need.
- Consider packing some fun size candy bars.
- Pack snacks for the parents as well as the children.
3. Traveling Long Distances
- While on the road to your destination, take along activities the kids love.
- Ideas include favorite books to read or coloring and activity books.
- Keeping the kids busy keeps them content.
- Take frequent breaks to let the kids run around and go to the bathroom.
- Use technology to your advantage and have the kids watch their favorite DVDs on portable DVD players or factory installed entertainment systems.
- Let children listen to music or audio books on their iPod.
4. Keep the Regular Sleep Schedule
- Try to have the kids get up and go to sleep at the regular time.
- Keeping the kids on schedule ensures they get the proper sleep so they are happy and well rested instead of cranky. Keep in mind that most of the Orlando hotels in Walt Disney World have quiet hours for families to sleep peacefully throughout the night!
- Adults will benefit from keeping their own sleep schedule as well.
- If the kids still take naps, try to plan your day around nap time.
- Unfortunately, I learned from Dr. Charles Gerba that airplane bathrooms are one of the most germ riddled environments.
- Tests show that E. coli exists on most surfaces on airplane bathrooms.
- Try to wash with hot soapy water in the bathroom.
- Whether on the plane or elsewhere use hand sanitizer before eating.
- Basically, the rule is wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after every activity.
Vacations are for having fun. It is OK if you cannot follow all of these travel tips. They are meant as general guidelines to keep you and your family healthy while on vacation.
Kendra Thornton: Travel advocate, TV spokesperson, PR businesswoman, proud wife and mama of 3. I am a long time travel expert who has been packing my bags and traveling the world since I was 3 months old! I’ve found my utmost desire in life is right here in my own home. I have mixed my excitement for travel by bringing the taste of authentic cuisine to my own home with some of my unique recipes and sharing some of my personal traveling tips. Enjoy!